Depression is a serious medical illness that affects 1 in 6 people at some point in their life. Depression affects our thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. It causes pervasive feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest and motivation. It can impact our ability to function at work and at home. Symptoms of depression can also include:
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Changes in appetite, or weight loss/gain unrelated to dieting
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Between 80-90% of people with depression eventually respond well to treatment. Counselling can help you understand the factors contributing to your low mood, help you challenge self-limiting thinking patterns, and motivate you to make small changes that can have a big impact.